site stats

Thursday, December 18, 2008

School or No School?

Every other kid is having and enjoying their school holidays. So the most frequently asked question I get this month is, "Are you giving your boys a holiday?"

I really don't know how to answer that :-p

Are we doing any "schoolwork"? Sure we are. Like I have said in my sidepanel, it is my aim to make education a life, a discipline and an atmosphere. I actually borrowed this quote from Charlotte Mason. Learning has become very much a part and parcel of our life. It feels odd to not do our Miquon lab sheets for example. My boys will miss them and even BEG me to let them do it! And what about our reading of the Illiad, we HAVE to read-on because we just WANT to know what's going to happen next. And wouldn't it be fun to find out just one more thing about Alexander.

Are we doing "school"? You bet we are!

OK. Confession time. We have fewer hours of "structured" activity. More days out for our very own "Wild Days" at the zoo and parks. Why?

Because I haven't been doing enough nature study and feel a need to play catch-up.

Because holiday is IN THE AIR. We feel it tickle us; prodding us to just GET OUT THERE.

And well, also because we are just PLAIN CRAZY wanting to rush out together with the loads of other holidaying children! It is crowds, crowds and crowds of screaming children EVERYWHERE!! Madness really! lol

The next 2 weeks will be even less structured because Daddy will be home and how can we do ANY work when Daddy is home! My boys are "programmed" that way; Daddy at home is a clear indication of a holiday and most importantly PLAY! My plan during this 2 weeks is to catch up on my planning and preparation for the coming year and start (and hopefully complete) a much needed spring-cleaning at home.

So I foresee a slight slant in my next few posts... just thought I should sound you out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...